Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Roe v. Wade... Part 2?

Norma McCorvey, known as Jane Roe in the Roe vs. Wade case that brought Abortion to the fore in North America has recently come out asking the Spureme Court to overturn the decision... Now I don't want to recap the whole story, but rather offer my opinion on it, but there are a few facts that need to be cleared first, namely the reasons behind the decision to ask the court to overturn the ruling.

In McCorvey's eyes, the decision is no longer valid because of 'anecdotal and scientific evidence' that has come to light in the past 30 years has come to light that changes the factors involved with getting an aportion. Firstly, there is no such thing as anecdotal evidence. Secondly, and more importantly, she's right. Medical technology has advanced so much since the decision that factors that were considered in the decision are now almost irrelevant.

I am adopted, and would love to see more mothers decide to give their children up rather than abort them. If I ever got to meet my biological mother, I'd like to say thanks for not making the choice to make me an abortion. That being said, I am not unconditionall against abortion, as a man, I realize that I have no business even picking one side or the other because that fight is not mine to take up.

I feel for Norma McCorvey, I do, but I think she has no business trying to change a Supreme Court ruling, no matter what. There is ample evidence that smoking and driving kill thousands of people a year who neither smoke nor drive, yet people still have the choice to light up a cigarette and drive a car. In a country like America, gun manufacturers are having problems marketing guns because everyone that wants a gun already has one. Abortion, owning a gun, and smoking are all personal choices, and need to be legislated to some degree to protect innocent people who might be in a bad situation. Taking away a personal choice is not the proper way to go about it.

On a small side note, is there a better way to convince kids to have safe sex than by presenting the fact that Abortion isn't a simple cure-all?

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm as for teaching safe sex...
I remember someone showed me in Grade 12 a biology text book (or something like that) with rather graphic images of various sexually transmitted diseases... that sure taught me a lesson!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home