Monday, February 07, 2005

Death has a Dignity All Its' Own

Surreal day yesterdsay... Going from being a pallbearer at my Great Uncle's funeral to being an invited guest at a friend's wedding. I cannot imagine a stranger dichotomy.

I've never been a pallbearer before, but being the oldest and biggest grandson on my grandfather's side, I guess there weren't many other people who could do it. Walking with his casket, I remembeed the last time I saw Uncle Maurice, he'd had a few health problems and m father and I visited him in a hospital in New York City. He was in and out of it, but when in, I saw alot of the things that I see in my father and grandfather in him. He wanted me to help him go out hunting for the prettiest nurses in the hospital, and was convinced that I was going to be a big football player.

He always used to bring something when he came in to visit the family from New York. Just little presents for the grand-nephews, and being the oldest, I always got the coolest one.

And then there's the wedding, an astonishing size for a man who couldn't look any happier. I doubt I'll never live through another day like that as long as I live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home