Saturday, February 12, 2005

Vince Carter and his mom

Michelle Carter, mother of whiner Vince, said that while still with the team, Carter picked up coach Sam Mitchell and slammed him on a massage table during an altercation. Now, there are a number of reasons I really doubt that this actually happened. Firstly, Vince is so injury-prone that he can barely walk without getting a cramp. At 42, I honestly think Mitchell could whip Vince, who just turned 28, and is technically 'in the prime of his career.'

Now I don't like Vince, that much is certain, I hate on principle anyone getting paid millions of dollars and then admitting they didn't put in a full effort. I may not be a naturally blessed athlete, but for thousands of dollars, I'd be putting in more efort than Vince does. Vitriolic coach Bobby Knight, one of the best and most ornery coaches in cllege basketball, explained why he wouldn't coach the NBA; "You've got guys making 2 million who can't do anything. I'm in a huddle looking at a guy who maks 2 million and he can't crush a grape." Vince is that guy, although he is making alot more than just 2 million dollars.

Now, my other problem is the fact that this little tidbit came from Carter's Mother. Knowing a bit about bad parents of sports figures (The Patriarch of the Lindros family comes to mind, yelling at curious kids) I should have seen it coming. Vince is a baby, and he was coddled by both his mother and the Toronto Raptors, and, I'm assuming, the New Jersey Nets. That is nither here nor there, though, the point is that if there was any sort of altercation or fight in the locker room, guess where it should stay? That's right, the locker room. If it comes out, it should come out a day or two later, not when the main player in question has already been traded. Whoever talked to Mrs. Carter was probably just a little bored, looking for a small story to fill in the rest of the sports section. Well, he found one, didn't he.


In other news, so many of you outraged against the droopy pants legislation that Virginia has dropped it. Good work, now let's see what we can do to get hokey back on the ice, before the NHL is dead to me and I start watching junior hockey on community television... oh wait, that's what I've been doing already for the past 5 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home