Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Of Geeks and Men (With Apologies to John Steinbeck)

Now Playing - These Days by Alien Ant Farm

This post is dedicated to all the good folks at the York Region Role Playing Guild, and everyone on the Red vs. Blue Boards.

I've become astounded by turns of events recently. I looked around at the friends I've got and realized that somehow, subtly I have shifted a bit on the cultural scale. From fun loving jock who doesn't take anything seriously to fun loving geek who doesn't take anything seriously. How did this happen to me? I used to beat up the kids who played D&D in my younger days... now I'm a card-carrying member of a Role playing guild (just as a quick note, I don't like D&D, but for [purposes of clarity let that stand in as an example of the whole of roleplaying games).

For those that don't know him, I blame Phil. Phil was a good guy, I thought, drank with him at frosh week, talked about all the hot girls walking around, and then never saw him for a year. I come back to register for courses and all of a sudden there he is with... two girls (!) talking about role playing trying to sign people up at York. The more signatures they get the more funding is available form York, so I signed on to help them out. Phil told me to come to a general meeting, meet and greet sort of thing. Listening to people talk about the games they were going to run, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath... was I actually going to do something like this? What would the dudes rom Hamildump think?

I tried it and it didn't suck. I started hanging out at their office, and it slowly came to me... These geeks are alright people. Despite the fact it looks like I may have to drop out of roleplaying for good, I consider the hours I wasted playing alot more productive than taking another nap.

The topic has come up of Anime as a few people try to slightly to push me in that direction. Is there really a comic I'd enjoy more than Undergrads or Family Guy? Ahh hell, I can't go that fa, I'd still rather watch Junior A Hockey games on Rogers television... phew, that was a close one.

Now Playing - Big Bad John by Johnny Cash

1 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Thanks for the plug John, and as for dropping out of Role-playing for good...sad times...we at YRPG will miss you.
Andrew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home